MARBLES

14 August 2017

imperfect joy

grainy beneath
white round
and time round
battered into shards
piercing for universal reminders
all wide long
curving
moving mounts farther out still  

evening hadn’t yet approached nor had this been
a perfect day, although there was joy in it still

the woman with cigarettes and coral lips
the young man sitting by the entrance, his tousled hair
a girl with the skin, she thought, of a giraffe
none of us happy although joy to the day still

I placed my hands beneath his arms and we walked

clear translucent
warm, always brackish in these parts
and rows of grapevines heavy with fruit:
there’s no joy taking things for granted.
for a while I could find the indentation of my footsteps
then my toes started kicking up dust

startlingly beautiful, a perfect disk approaching the horizon

swimming back to a metre and a half standing
but sometimes the sea tried to bring me to my knees
The sea can be funny that way. Thalassa, I like her.

as I was saying, some things are heartbreakingly beautiful

the night breeze arrived, it knocked the salt off my gums,
that kind of breeze.
I’ll wait as long as it takes

waiting slowly —  slowly obscured the brilliant orange
the solitary dot near the cloud-empty horizon
but wondrous our earth
apart at red green spectrum 
but luminous, and myself alight
sliding below the line of the horizon

to a sunrise

my lost love, my love