MARBLES

14 November 2014

A CONFESSION

Sometimes I think about cauliflower
When I am alone
Daylight or dusk.
My friends say I should give it up.
One friend in particular, she is vehement:
“Cauliflower again?” she’ll ask.
I don’t know if she is wrong or right
That’s something I truly cannot grasp
Even though I’ve tried to
Understand her point of view.
Over my desk at work I have
A poster of a beautiful head
Of cauliflower.
Cauliflower can be made into soup
Or a purée with milk and olive oil
Salt and white pepper-
Use black pepper if you don’t have white-
Freshly ground, a must these days.
I don’t need the poster at home,
Where my thoughts are free
And unrestrained.
There is no evanescence
To these thoughts, nor
Can they be transferred

To another vegetable.
The only negative thing
I have to say about cauliflower
Is that it’s a lot like love:
When it stinks
One tends to gasp
And want to clear the air.